Scroll's engineering team is solving a broad, evolving range of technical problems, and we're doing it with a pretty small team. We do this by not looking for specific skills so much as people who are excited to learn new things and to work across the stack. We think that inquisitive and passionate people with the right foundation are more nimble than specialists in silos. Great engineers can help make the right decisions in their domain, but they can also contribute to any technical discussion, pitch in where needed, or implement an idea for a feature on their own front-to-back. If this is you—or you're on track to be this person—let's talk!
Scroll is a Series A startup with twelve employees (and growing!) between our NYC and Portland, OR offices, and we're backed by top VCs and partnered with leading publishers. The service, currently in private beta, lets users support the news sites they love while avoiding the ads they hate. Members pay a monthly subscription fee and get ad-free versions of sites in our network.
This is a unique opportunity to join an experienced team with an important mission. At a time when journalism is more important than ever, we're ensuring journalists get paid to report the stories important to democracy and letting readers experience the news in a way that respects their attention and privacy. We're buliding a better Internet—one site at a time. Learn more at scroll.com.
- Experience with a range of languages and technologies, excitement about learning more
- Depth in some part of the stack, curiosity and an understanding of how and why tools work the way they do
- A history of being thoughtful and inventive (side projects, advocating for change at work, growing scopes of responsibility)
- Ability to communicate technical concepts and discuss design tradeoffs
Always good to see, but definitely not required
- Experience at consumer-facing technology companies or other startups
- Understanding of how Internet applications are broadly architected and why
- Computer Science or other technical degree
- Every employee is considered an owner of the company with competitive salary and equity packages.
- We pay 90% of base health and dental insurance costs for employees and families
- We try to be as generous and flexible as possible when it comes to paid time off, and we don’t want to hear from you when you're on vacation.
- We provide $5,000 a year for learning and development
- New parents receive 16 weeks of leave over the first two years
Companies work better when the people within them reflect a broad a range of lived experiences and perspectives to draw from. They are faster to understand challenges, and identify opportunities. They make better quality decisions. They better understand and empathize with the people they seek to serve. We will always prioritize expanding that range of perspectives and lived experiences within our team with every hire we make. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. We welcome applications from women, people of color, and other underrepresented groups.