Our secret is pretty simple: hire people who bring an area of expertise but are excited to learn new things and work across the stack, then never stop trying to improve our efficiency and versatility. We believe that smart, inquisitive, proactive people with the right foundation are more nimble than a team of siloed specialists. Great engineers can help make the right decisions in their domain, but they can also contribute to any technical discussion, pitch in where needed, or implement an idea for a feature on their own front-to-back.
This is a unique opportunity to be a foundational part of a very experienced team with an important mission—ensuring journalists get paid to report the stories important to democracy and letting readers experience the news in a way that lets them focus and engage. We're building a faster, cleaner, ad-free subscription experience that works everywhere users find articles, currently in limited beta. Scroll is a Series A startup with eight employees (and growing!) between our NYC and Portland, OR offices (this role can be in either location!), and we're backed by top VCs and partnered with leading publishers. Learn more at scroll.com.
- Strong coding and software design skills
- Experience with a range of languages, technologies, and parts of the stack, excitement about learning more
- Depth in some part of the stack, curiosity and an understanding of how and why tools work the way they do
- Ability to prioritize, manage, and take ownership
- A history of being thoughtful, inventive, and proactive (side projects, advocating for change at work, growing scopes of responsibility)
- Ability to communicate technical concepts effectively, discuss design tradeoffs, and empathize developers
Always good to see, but definitely not required
- Experience at consumer-facing technology companies or fast-paced startups
- Computer Science or other technical degree
- Every employee is considered an owner of the company with competitive salary and equity packages.
- We pay 90% of base health and dental insurance costs for employees and families
- We try to be as generous and flexible as possible when it comes to paid time off, and we don’t want to hear from you when you're on vacation.